Mind maps are visual representations of information clusters related to one topic or idea. Business-wise, you can use them to:
- generate content & product ideas
- create outlines for documents, presentations, web pages, …
- summarise the key points of a discussion
- visualise complex scenarios or projects
- develop creative concepts.
If you’re using this method extensively, Freeplane can help you speed things up. It’s a free mind mapping tool that runs on any OS (requires Java).
Getting to know the tool is easy: take a few minutes to explore the documentation, and you’re ready to roll. By the way, the user guide is a mind map itself – as you go through the basics, you also become familiar with the interface.
For increased productivity, set your own keyboard shortcuts.